You’ve never had a massage before, but your friends all seem to love them. You have this constant aching in your back and shoulders, but you just can’t seem to get rid of the tension. What exactly are the benefits of massage, anyway?
The benefits of massage include:
- Improved range of motion and pain relief
- Increased joint flexibility
- Improved blood circulation
- Relieved stress and muscle tension
- Enhanced lymph flow – the body’s natural immune defense system
- Reduced muscle spasms and cramping
In addition to these benefits, there are many types of massage techniques that exist. The most common and popular type of massage is Swedish massage, which uses light to medium pressure to improve mood, reduce pain, increase circulation, and rid the muscle tissue of toxins.
Some other common types of massage therapy include:
- Prenatal massages for expectant mothers
- Deep tissue massages for chronic muscular pain
- Sports massages for athletes, which focus on specific problem areas
- Geriatric massages for elderly patients
- Reflexology, which uses pressure points in the hands and feet to relieve stress and promote relaxation
At Sprains & Strains, we have an excellent massage therapist on staff who can assist you with any questions you may have about massage therapy or other pain relief options available to you. Please don’t hesitate to call so we can help you find the relief you need.